Green’s Mill Historical Bridge:
Green's Mill Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places “as a nationally significant example of a self-anchored bridge”.
The fourth self-anchored suspension bridge built in America was constructed August 1, 1933 by Clinton Bridge Works, Clinton, Iowa and Missouri State Highway Department: T.H. Culter, Chef Engineer; N.R. Sack, Bridge Engineer; Howard Mullins, Bridge and Resident Engineer for just under $37,000”. Information from Engineering News-Record, vol. 111, No. 13, September 28, 1933
Green’s Mill Bridge was one of five bridges constructed when the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri was created by constructing BagnelI Dam on the Osage River. Each of the five bridges spanned one of the five rivers that shape and send water into the “Dragon Lake” of the Ozarks. Four of those five bridges have been demolished and replaced. Green’s Mill Bridge is the only one remaining and is no longer adequate for modern traffic on State Road J. Concerned citizens want this historic bridge to be preserved and treasured.
Green’s Mill Historical Bridge, Inc, was organized in 2018 to preserve and maintain the bridge in its original location. To provide a public pedestrian attraction at the confluence of the Lake of the Ozarks and the ‘scenic flat-water floating and fishing Little Niangua River’.
To make Bridge and Ozarks history accessible to visitors by supporting Bridge engineering history and education.
To provide the preservation and the beautification of the Green’s Mill Historical Bridge and its environment so that the public may enjoy the benefits of an historic pedestrian bridge for education, recreation, exercise, access to river views, community and cultural for future generations.